The Community Wellness Program provides volunteers and student interns with opportunities to work with us as Wellness Navigators.
Wellness Navigators are healthcare professionals, students, and community members who want to help us spread the wellness message. If you would like to join the Wellness Team as a Wellness Navigator please complete the Navigator Application.
What is the Wellness Navigator Program?
The Wellness Navigator Program trains volunteers and student interns to support and promote the Community Wellness Program. The program supports Navigators in their personal and professional development by giving them hands-on experience in promoting wellness throughout our hospital and larger community.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for all operations of the Wellness Center.
- Support outreach efforts to engage underserved and often hard to reach patients and staff.
- Support health promotion activities including workshops, lectures and classes on a variety of health and wellness topics, including nutrition, diabetes management, tobacco cessation, stress reduction, and others.
- Participate in development, design and implementation of public health initiatives.
- Assist with program evaluations and assessments through surveys and focus groups to ensure that the program delivers quality programs and services.
- Serve as a liaison with hospital and community groups to support programs that engage participants through innovative strategies and incentives.
- Assist with community outreach events at the hospital and in the community.
- Interest & knowledge about health and wellness
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to function independently as a collaborative, supportive team member
- Must dedicate a minimum of eight hours a week as a Wellness Navigator; 100 hours over the minimum of a three months period
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish or English/Cantonese)
- Advanced computer skills
- Development skills
- Photography/ Video documentation experience
- Enrolled in or completed a 4 year degree
To apply to the Navigator Program as a volunteer or student intern, please complete our Navigator Application.
Volunteers: Once the application and Wellness Navigator orientation have been completed, the applicant will be processed as a volunteer through San Francisco’s General Hospital Volunteer Services. For more information on Volunteer Services please refer to San Francisco General Hospital’s Volunteer Services.
Student Interns: Please refer to SF General’s Internship Placement Policy. The internship application process includes completing the Navigator application, internship placement requirements as indicated in the Internship Placement Policy, and the Wellness Navigator orientation.
Applications for the Fall quarter beginning on September 1st will be accepted between July 1st and July 31st.
Applications for the Winter quarter beginning on January 1st will be accepted between November 1st and December 15th.
Applications for the Summer quarter beginning on June 1st will be accepted between April 1st and April 30th.